I enjoy experimenting with vegan food, even though I’m only a vegetarian! I created these vegan chocolate cupcakes, heavily influenced by the recipe on Feasting On Fruit, and was so happy with how they tasted that I had to share them. Besides not using dairy products, the recipe also uses rolled oats instead of flour and dates instead of sugar so the cupcakes are quite healthy!
They didn’t end up looking the most aesthetic since I am not talented at all when it comes to food presentation, especially cupcake decorating, but they definitely tasted good which is what matters most! 🙂
This post is also a collab with Sophie from Sophie’s Corner who has an amazing blog and Instagram, and is so lovely to talk to. We have both shared cupcake recipes on our blogs so after you have read about how to make these vegan chocolate cupcakes I highly recommend checking out her recipe for marble cupcakes!
Ingredients: (makes 6)
- 200g dates
- 250ml water
- 45g cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g rolled oats
- 60ml soy milk (or any other dairy-free milk)
- 200g dates
- 250ml soy milk (or any other dairy-free milk)
- 60g vegetable oil butter (or any other dairy-free butter)
- 30g cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
1. Put the dates and water into a blender and mix until there are no large pieces of dates. Add the rest of the cupcake ingredients and blend until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into 6 cupcake cases. I used a cupcake maker to make mine so I put them into that and cooked them for 15 minutes, but you could also cook them in the oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees Celsuis. I transferred the cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool down.
3. For the icing, simply put all of the icing ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. Pour into a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least half an hour.
4. Once the cupcakes have cooled down and the icing is chilled, use a knife to decorate the cupcakes with a generous dollop of the icing. Enjoy!